SPIRITUAL NURTURE FOR THE INTERIOR JOURNEY, CONNECTING HEARTS & SOULS

Friday, September 10, 2010

Big Boy winks

Mostly, I wonder what the Universe holds for me, seeking clarity. Rarely, I know as I have the past two days.

I took the short week off to relax after a very long (kids out 15-plus weeks) and up-and-down (parent hospitali-
zations: 4; surgeries: 1) summer. One day I ventured to a nearby labyrinth lingering in the center for a long meditation and journal reflection. Well overdue. Another, I spent in my studio (which I neglected ALL summer) on seven paintings and writing about them, which was, really, poking around in myself, checking my pulse. It stirred up important, though not easy, emotions, lessons and wisdom.

Included in this sacred space was much prayer – intercessory for others and myself; particularly for clearness about my path. Everyone has returned to a rhythm this week, either to school or work or something. Not I. I am engaged in emptying all the busyness of the past months, trying to unearth myself, the Divine within and what the Divine within is currently asking of me.

Prior to summer, I had been on a giant rolling wave, finishing a series of two books and the ominous proposal to accompany them. My sandwiched (kids and parents) summer brought that work to a screeching and anticipated halt.

Yesterday, I was invited via Facebook to a writing colloquium at the Earlham School of Religion by a wonderful Quaker author I know, Brent Bill, on writing as ministry. Brent is speaking as well as Quaker songwriter/performer Carrie Newcomer. There's also the chance to submit book proposals and meet with a real, live editor. YES, my heart fluttered. I e-mailed my Quaker minister, who said she thought "way was opening*" for me.

Today as I was walking to my yoga class, I had to navigate the busiest street in town. At peak-morning rush, when I came to the curb, there was nary a vehicle in sight. Way literally opened right there and the metaphor was not lost. I crossed right by the Frisch's Big Boy and thought, for an instant, he winked at me.

Later, I met a stranger at another dangerous intersection ... a woman "from the country named Edna," who was so grateful to meet a friend with whom to traverse the harrowing path. Not sure what that means, exactly, but it felt like a message. As I pondered that, I looked down to see the words "one way" and a yellow arrow under my feet. I am walking the right way!

* a Quaker phrase that means that obstacles have been removed because this is as Spirit/God desires


• Do I make sure to use intercessory prayer for myself and not just others?
• How has that prayer been answered?
• Recall a time when the answer was very clear?
• Or, perhaps, is it always clear and I'm not listening?
• What helps me to listen to the Divine better?




Temporarily
lost in
others


it's
ok


it
was
expected


just
the
rhythm
of the
weeks


now,
however,
is
my time


space
I must
grab
from
the
encroaching
world


or lose


and
lose
sight
of
what's
really
mine


....
You can find Brent Bill at holyordinary.blogspot.com
and Carrie Newcomer at carrienewcomer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment